Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Do you want to go to the seaside?

Swan Oyster Depot. Oh man. The best seafood Iv'e had in a very long time. And that's a big call coming from someone who is from Fremantle and grew up on fresh seafood. I discovered this place after watching one of my favourite Chefs Anthony Bourdain's television show The Layover. He said it was his favourite seafood place in the world, so naturally, I had to try it. The wait is typically over an hour just to get a seat in this place but I was lucky enough to time my visit perfectly and only waited about 20 minutes. 



The clam chowder was ridiculously good. If all the clams descended down from the Gods of the Ocean themselves and fell into one delicious meal, this would be it. According to the locals sitting next to me, this is the best you will have in America. Matched with a perfect sourdough loaf and for under $3 for a small bowl there really wasn't any room to complain. The crab head filled with all the delicious juices and fat from the crustacean was described by Bourdain as nectar from the Gods. The man said it himself. It was unlike anything I have ever eaten. Cold, salty.... crabby? Amazing! 



I then decided to get frisky with the natural aphrodisiac that is the oyster. The big jolly guy behind the counter offered me his three favourite (out of about 30 types), two were local and the other smaller from Washington. It was amazing how each had its own different taste and even texture, some saltier and snottier than others. 


The whole meal came to $16. $16 for one of the best meals Iv'e had in the US. Needless to say, Im going there again after I write this post for some more hungover chowder. 


I then wandered down to Fisherman's Wharf. And by wandered I mean walked about 40 minutes up and down some epic San Francisco hills. So it was pretty fantastic at the end to be able to take my shoes off and dip my toes into the freezing Bay waters. 



After a stroll around the harbour I discovered a converted warehouse that housed a private collection of old and rare arcade games from fair grounds across the US. Most of the machines still worked and for just a Quarter you could watch the hilarious machines crank into order. 







To top my epic day off I found this little guy swimming near the dock. What a cutie! All in all a pretty good day by the sea. 




1 comment :

  1. I love the way you can share your experiences. I feel we are there with you.... Blogs, text messages, skyping, instagram, it all brings you so much closer to home

    ReplyDelete