Tuesday, July 30, 2013

If You're Going to San Francisco, Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair

After spending a few hot and sunny days in LA, I have moved onwards and upwards to San Francisco. I will be here for three and a half weeks, in which time plan on discovering why everyone speaks so highly of the place. I already have a better feeling about this place than I did LA. There is a more laid back vibe. There aren't a million people trying to sell you on the Hollywood ideal of fun. 


Since I've been here I've gone to The Mission District, Haight, China Town and the CBD. I am staying in a great little hostel by the name of The Green Tortoise Hostel. Its less sterile and has a way better atmosphere than the LA Hostel. 











The Haight is the district that was full of hippies in the 70s and to be honest I dont really think they have gone that far. Its full of tye-die clothes, "smoke" shops and the smell of some happy herbs is thick in the air. It is also home to one of the most breathtaking parks I've ever been in, the Golden Gate Park. I spent the afternoon getting lost in the park which has so many different attractions and stretches from the bottom of Haight Street to the Coast. After walking around it for 3 hours I still hadn't seen everything. I think hiring a bike and doing a few laps is definitely in order this week.



One of my favourite parts of this city is the architecture. The buildings look like something out of Edward Scissor Hands mixed with Whosville from the Grinch. Every building has its own unique colour and character. Every street I walk down is a surprise. 



On Friday night I went and saw this band that I've been listening to for a while called Dead Meadow. The gig was off the chain. The venue was amazing, the 50ml pours of vodka went down smoothly and the crowd reciprocated all the energy the band was pouring into the music. All in all a great night topped off with great company from a bunch of SF locals that I met.


Looking forward to discovering more. 

x
Runaway Charlie

No comments :

Post a Comment